Academic, research and entrepreneurial landmarks Higher education:
- Degree in Food Science and Technology from the University of the Basque Country/Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (1995).
- MSc in Food Biotechnology from the University of Reading, Food and Nutritional Sciences Department (UK, 1998).
- Ph.D. in Biotechnology and Nutrition from the University of Reading, School of Food Biosciences, Biotechnology Department (UK, 2001).
- Postdoctoral fellowship, University of California, Davis, Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Group (USA, 2002-2003).
- Postdoctoral fellowship, University of Reading, School of Food Biosciences, Hugh Sinclair Human Nutrition Unit (UK, 2003-2006).
- Senior Scientist at Progenika Biopharma, S.A., Diagnostics Department (2006-present).
‘In 2006 I was hired as a Senior Researcher by Progenika Biopharma, S.A. (Bizkaia Science and Technology Park), joining the diagnostics team, who develop DNA-chips for the large-scale identification of DNA mutations that result in different hereditary conditions. Specifically, I am working on a DNA-chip for the differential diagnosis of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. As project leader, I design the oligonucleotides and technical parts of the chip and perform the internal and external validation of the product. ’I was born and grew up in Bizkaia, and I studied at the University of the Basque Country/Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (UPV/EHU). After obtaining my degree, I moved to England with a European grant to study English and do research. For the following ten years, I conducted research in the UK and USA. ’Some time ago, I used to think that I would never come back home because things were far from good for doctors in the field of Biotechnology here. But my family and my roots have always been in Bizkaia. About a year ago, I had the chance to join a company based in Bizkaia specialising in Biomedicine. The job implied a connection between biological research and hospital clinical practice. The company deals with interesting subjects and have recruited doctors, invested in R&D, so I thought it was a good idea to take the job, come back to Bizkaia and develop my career in my homeland’.