Basque Country is waiting for you
Our particulary identity
Many reviewers regard the Basque Country as having one of the most varied and extensive gastronomies in the world.
Innovation and excellence also apply to haute cuisine in the Basque Country, which has the highest per capita concentration of Michelin star restaurants in the world. To be specific, the Basque Country boasts a total of 32 stars from 23 restaurants spread across the territory of Euskadi.
Furthermore, recognition of the quality and exquisiteness of Basque restaurants can be found in the 2018 list of the world’s 50 best restaurants. The British publishing group William Reed Business Media draws up this annual list, and in the 2018 edition, 4 of the world’s 43 top restaurants are located in the Basque Country. These restaurants, all of which are within a radius of 50 kilometres in a country of just 2.1 million inhabitants, are Mugaritz (9th), Asador Etxebarri (10th), Arzak (31st) and Azurmendi (43rd).
We should also emphasise that one of these four restaurants was given top honours in one of the more technical sections. Azurmendi was named the world’s most sustainable restaurant in terms of nature and energy.
The finest products of the Basque Country can be enjoyed in these famous restaurants, ranging from freshly caught fish and seafood from the Cantabrian Sea to top quality meats that melt in the mouth, washed down with excellent wines from the region’s top wineries. All of these restaurants have their own stamp of uniqueness.
Below you will find a list of the Basque restaurants that feature in the 2019 Michelin Guide, where you will be able to enjoy an excellent menu and discover why they have achieved such a degree of international recognition.
THREE MICHELIN STARS
- Akelarre. San Sebastian. www.akelarre.net
- Arzak. San Sebastian. www.arzak.info
- Azurmendi. Larrabetzu. www.azurmendi.biz
- Martín Berasategui. Lasarte-Oria. www.martinberasategui.com
TWO MICHELIN STARS
- Mugaritz. Errenteria. www.mugaritz.com
ONE MICHELIN STAR
- Alameda. Hondarribia. www.restaurantealameda.net
- Amelia. San Sebastian. www.ameliarestaurant.com
- Andra Mari. Galdakao. www.andra-mari.com
- Boroa. Amorebieta-Etxano. www.boroa.com
- Elkano. Getaria. www.restauranteelkano.com
- Eme Be Garrote. San Sebastian. www.emeberestaurante.com
- Eneko. Bilbao. www.enekobilbao.restaurant
- Eneko. Larrabetzu. www.eneko.restaurant
- Etxanobe. Bilbao. www.etxanobe.com
- Etxebarri. Atxondo. www.asadoretxebarri.com
- Kokotxa. San Sebastian. www.restaurantekokotxa.com
- Mina. Bilbao. www.restaurantemina.es
- Marqués de Riscal. Elciego. www.restaurantemarquesderiscal.com
- Mirador de Ulía. San Sebastian. www.miradordeulia.es
- Nerua. Bilbao. www.nerua.com
- Zarate. Bilbao. www.zaratejatetxea.com
- Zortziko. Bilbao. www.zortziko.es
- Zuberoa. Oiartzun. www.zuberoa.com